Friday, May 18, 2012

smart and dumb congressional reforms

Tom Mann and Norm Ornstein have followed up their article saying the Republicans are more to blame for dysfunctional politics and Congress with a list of reforms, many of which they consider unhelpful. I agree that the ideas of a new Third Party, term limits, and a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution won't help. I'm not sure about campaign finance reform, especially because of the uncertain reaction of the Supreme Court, but I'd be willing to try some sort of public financing. I heartily endorse their call for redistricting by independent commissions and restricting Senate filibusters to rare events -- and I'm willing to try mandatory voting and the instant runoff idea.  I hope that the politicians in power next January are sufficiently embarrassed by how things have gone recently to try some of these good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment