Tuesday, March 12, 2013

live news on the radio

I grew up listening to news on the radio, especially CBS news on Denver's clear channel KLZ. Washing the dinner dishes in the 1950s, I listened to Edward R.Murrow's nightly newscast. [My parents waited until my sister and I went off to college before they bought a dishwashing machine.]  I found a book by Paul White, founder of CBS news, in a used bookstore and I devoured its stories about the early years of network news. My loyalty carried over to television, where I regularly watched Walter Cronkite.

I was fascinated to find this report on The Atlantic site, noting that March 13 marks the 75th [!] anniversary of the CBS World News Roundup, a radio news show that's still on the air. The article tells of that first broadcast and links to a recording. The lead story was the annexation [anschluss] of Austria by Hitler's Germany, and it brought together several legendary newsmen, including Murrow, William L. Shirer, and Robert Trout. 

Yes,I listened to the Lone Ranger on the radio, too, but the "thrilling days of yesteryear" for me were the radio newscasts -- about Suez and sputnik and civil rights demonstrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment