Monday, December 19, 2016

weighty books

In that blissful period between academic terms, I accumulate a pile of books to read -- nonfiction during the daylight hours, fiction after dark. I've noticed a worrisome trend among publishers in recent years: the books are too big, too long, too heavy. Even mysteries are now exceeding 500 pages and over 1 1/2 pounds.

You can't read a book that heavy in bed. One nod off, and your chest gets crushed.

I have some reference books at have more than 900 pages and weigh more than three pounds. But they are for quick perusal, not lengthy contemplation.  Most topics deserve no more than 500 pages, but several of the recent books on my list are 600, 700, 800 pages, Too heavy to hold comfortably -- and too much extraneous detail. [Of course I love the sexy factoid, but they are by nature brief.]

How can publishers make money with such tomes? Maybe it all goes to Kindle, where weight doesn't matter. Maybe they don't make money, but the bankruptcy courts are too crowded. Whatever the reasons, I wish they would Keep It Short!

No comments:

Post a Comment