Wednesday, September 11, 2013

JFK and the military

I see that Robert Dallek has a new book coming out about the Kennedy administration and the Atlantic site is running a chapter on JFK's relationships with the military. I'm not sure I agree with all of Dallek's comments, since it's been a long time since I looked at the documents and transcripts myself,  but I agree that the Joint Chiefs of Staff were way of of line during the Cuban missile crisis -- insubordinate, disrespectful, and raising domestic political arguments.

By contrast, I think that General Dempsey has done an appropriate job with regard to Syria -- making clear when asked by Congress of the downsides of military options in Syria but not saying things that would constrain the President's options.Today's military is much more respectful of civilian control than some of their predecessors.

No comments:

Post a Comment