Consider these facts from the Economist:
- There has been no foreign affairs specialist in the 25-member Politburo since 2002.
- The Ministry of Defense lacks command authority over China's armed forces.
- There is a profound lack of coordination between the foreign ministry and the military.
- Eleven government agencies assert various authorities over matters related to the disputed islands in the South China Sea.
- Many heads of State Owned Enterprises outrank local party and government leaders and thus can ignore their orders.